Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I love my hair

You've got to check this!

watch the video



The longing for silky, long hair is still a problem for black children!! What are we writers doing to consciously send the message that black hair is okay: that our hair was designed for us - whatever its texture, colour, length. and it doesn't have to be a book about hair  - just one of the many affirmative messages about ourselves that we need to interweave in our stories.And if anybody dares to comment on prejudice, reverse or otherwise - . I'll delete the comment. Read the reason it was made then just watch the video and ponder

1 comment:

Diane Browne said...

It seems to me that an entire race/ethnic group of people could not have been designed to dislike their hair. So in spite of historical socialization, or the media messages, we must work our way through this very sensitive issue. And boy is it sensitive! This is why in my stories I describe the hair of the protagonist, because for our readers, 'if you do not describe me with my hair then there must be a reason; I'm still not there; it's not me; or I know that it's my hair after all. I hope to follow this up on my blog.