Friday, October 28, 2011

Using story books to introduce Literature

When geocities closed down their free hosting of websites, I thought all the information would disappear. I am seeing now that they are restoring access to websites they hosted. Below is a link to a page from my former site, which gives basic information on how to assess literary quality in books for grades three to seven. Students in the lower grades in Jamaica do not study  'Literature', this being part of their Language Arts courses. From anecdotal evidence, however, it seems that teachers are sometimes at a disadvantage in helping their students to appreciate the literary quality of the books they recommend their students to read, so they can move beyond merely saying 'the book is interesting/nice etc'. The children, of course, do not have to be bombarded with all of this information. It is aimed at the teachers. Please make judicious use of it.

I hope that the information on this page will help It makes special reference to two books Little Island, Big Adventures by Maria Roberts Squires and The Ring and the Roaring Water by Diane Browne, both published in Jamaica, and for the upper end of this age group.


Please see this information now at http://jambooks-fiction.blogspot.com/2013/08/elements-of-good-story.html













 I am making the article as a new post. Elements of a good story. http://jambooks-fiction.blogspot.com/2013/08/elements-of-good-story.   http://jambooks-fiction.blogspot.com/2013/08/elements-of-good-story.html

1 comment:

Diane Browne said...

This is a great idea, Hazel. I hope that teachers will be aware of it and take advantage of it. When I was teaching I was so happy when I could find anything that helped me with my teaching or enhanced my knowledge base. So I trust that we'll find that teachers today will also be pleased. Perhaps if the JTA, NATE, the Jamaica Reading Association and the National PTA were aware of this it would be to everybody's advantage. Come to think of it, I should also inform them when there is a relative post on my blog. Hmm! Just thought of all of this, and it would include posts like Helen's last post. Something to think about. Is this something that the CWC could do? What do you think?